Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Digital Sunset

Acrylic on Canvas. 17" x 21".
Image by Ross Wilson, 2010.

Well here's my first go-round, with a pile of cheap Walmart acrylics and a shitty Walmart easel that had a foot break off as I took it out of its box. So had to deal, and I kinda like this one. I guess I was sort of thinking about the digitization of Africa as a result of my most recent visit there, the tree is certainly baobab-inspired, and the colors pulled right out of an epic African sunset. But I hate to analyze at such depth, for two reasons at this point - I don't feel like the image quite warants that, and by such words behind a piece it makes it more difficult for a viewer to come up with their own original interpretation. Besides, at this point really I'm just pulling colors and shapes together that fit well, and it took way longer to complete this than it might look like, wrestling with colors and adjusting details until I was finally satisfied with it. Mostly anyway. I still hate the sun and the moon but aren't sure what to do with them, but I do love the colors and the tree, and the overall feeling the image gives. Anyway, for my first foray, I'm pretty happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment