Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Arctic Passage


Acrylic on Canvas. 21x17
Image by Ross Wilson, 2010.

Well this one started rough, and again took way too many hours to complete for what it is, but I'm still figuring out even the basics. This I can't say is inspired by anyplace I've been in person, but I love the feeling it gives, as cheesy as the whole moon/sillhouette thing might be. I'm pretty happy with the reflections (and love the icebergs! I will have to paint more icebergs in the future!) I've never seen the Northern lights but it is on my bucket-list, and in the meantime I can still google-image search and paint them! Can you imagine what early travelers thought about that, crossing from Europe to find this, and in early days in science when it must have been pegged off as supernatural.

Anyway, so I joined a studio with this interesting character out in Vancouver and have an awesome workspace in an open carport under an apartment building, and this is shaping up to be an epic summer hanging out outside in the shade painting. We spent the day building a pile of canvasses from scratch, and then finally got to some painting. This is the first one I got finished there, and it sure beats working in the corner of my way-too-crowded room.

No comments:

Post a Comment